TAIS Biennial Awards
TAIS has a tradition of honoring teachers and administrators during the TAIS Biennial Conference with two award categories. The Sawney Webb Award nominations and winners are determined by the TAIS Board of Directors. The Hubert Smothers Award recipients are nominatead to the TAIS Board of Directors by a member of their school's administration. The Board creates a Selection Committee within the Board who determines the Hubert Smothers Award winners.
Sawney Webb Award
In 1870, William Robert Webb, affectionately known to thousands as "Old Sawney," founded Webb School in Culleoka, Tennessee. He was the Headmaster of Webb until his death in 1926 and a true embodiment of an outstnading Head of School. He was a "good school man." Because of his exemplary leadership, in 1986, TAIS established the Sawney Webb Award to honor administrators who have made outstanding contributions to the field of independent school education.
Sawney Webb Award Recipients
Hubert Smothers Award
The Hubert Smothers Award is presented to teachers within TAIS who have evidenced a deep commitment to the teaching profession and who have demonstrated excellence in all they do. The criteria for nomination are substantial and far-reaching.
Hubert Smothers Award Recipients
- Have 20 years in the teaching profession
- Be a "life-long learner" and demonstrate an enthusiasm for teaching
- Have a long-term positive impact on students
- Have exhibited leadership in extra-curricular activities that involve education
- Have a positive relationship with colleagues and administration
- Possess a sensitivity to the needs of students and work unselfishly toward their development
- Make contributions to further education beyond the school community and impact the wider local, state, or national educational community