Any independent (non-public) elementary and/or secondary school incorporated as a not-for-profit organization and operating in the state of Tennessee that complies with TAIS's standards for membership and embraces its mission is eligible to become a member of the Association. The standards for membership are:
- A school must have been in operation for three academic years
- A school must be accredited by one of the following: the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS), Cognia (formerly known as AdvancED and SACS), or the Tennessee Department of Education
- A school must be classified as a non-profit organization under section 501(c)3 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code and the laws of Tennessee
- A school must maintain non-discriminatory policies
- A school that maintains non-discriminatory policies and meets two of the remaining three standards, and is in the process of meeting the third, may be granted Provisional membership in TAIS.
Directory of Member Schools